When you’re keen for your business to earn more, you turn to marketing. And more often than not, you look at advertising, PR, or anything else that you think that will make a change quickly. It might work. Or it might just be money down the drain.
But what if you changed something more fundamental? Something that would make every piece of communication going forward ten times more effective?
This article will tell you why you must invest in your brand.
A brand is more than a logo
You may already have a logo and think it looks nice. You may even have a strapline that you think is kind of clever. But that’s not really a brand.
A brand is:
- use of colour
- tone of voice
- brand values
- brand promise
Why does all of this matter? This package makes up the first impression that you leave with all your prospects. And then ensures consistency throughout every interaction that follows.
A brand is like dating
Consider your business as one person. And imagine that person has a job interview or a first date. You’d do your hair, you’d wear nice clothes, you’d do your research so you say the right things, and you’d present yourself in the best way possible. Why? Because the first impression matters.
For a business, it’s that first date or interview a thousand times over as it will have multiple interactions on many occasions with its target audience (on a multitude of platforms), through hundreds of different employees. Get your brand sorted and that great first impression sticks every time.
What type of business is best suited to a brand ‘boost’?
Any business, big or small, can benefit. But the type of company that requires it is a brand new one. In the first few months of a business, an immense amount of time is spent on introducing your company to the world and convincing them of why you’re worth listening to.
You’re tiny and unknown so it’s really hard work.
This is why you must invest in your brand to get a compelling, clear and well thought-through corporate identity that will make the process so much simpler.
What impact will it have?
Build a connected, powerful brand and the following will happen:
- You hand over a business card and the colours and font look good, don’t look too similar to a competitor’s and appeal to the recipient.
- You start the sales process or fund raising and your elevator pitch instantly clicks with your audience. They see why what you do is important. They see it making a difference. They remember it.
- Every piece of content you write – for your blog, social media, ad copy, customer communications – is easy to write because you have an established messaging, a way of talking about your business and an agreed tone and personality to present.
- Your sales collateral and website tell a story. They speak in your audience’s language, in an appropriate tone, and they address the things your audience cares about. They also make a promise to the audience – a guarantee so that your targets know where they stand with you and that builds their trust.
- Every member of your team has a precise guide to follow when representing the business. The brand values give them a clear idea of what the company represents. And this in turn helps you attract like-minded employees who are loyal and passionate about the cause.
- Brand awareness grows quickly and you develop a reputation which is seen to investors as a solid asset. New entrants to the market need to compete not only with what you do, but who you are (your trusted name).
How to develop a strong brand
You need to be prepared to part with a little cash. This, after all, is an article about why you must invest in your brand.
You could go to a big branding agency and spend £10,000+, but there are also companies like ours that will give you what you need from £1,700.
You’ll get a strong logo, colours, font and a brand bible which takes your company from being the business owner’s baby to a business that can stand up there against the big boys and be heard.
Are you ready to invest in your brand?